Thursday, March 23, 2006

Sold!

I sold one of my creations for the very first time today. It was kind of bittersweet. I have never sold anything I've made. I make lots of stuff for other people. I always have given them as gifts.

But, a friend wanted me to design a "grandmother's" bracelet for her mom for an upcoming birthday. So, I got some ideas and picked out all the beads, designed it, and sold it! I was excited about how it turned out. I really liked the finished look.

It was sort of sad for me though. I always get such joy in seeing someone react to something I made just for them or their new baby and this time I don't get to see that. I almost feel guilty about selling stuff. Since I have only ever given, it feels almost wrong to take money from friends. But, making bracelets is an easy way to get a little bit extra so I can go buy more beads or yarn to make stuff to give away!

----------------

I really want to felt something again. I've been knitting for almost two years now. My very first knitting project was a bright ORANGE bag with red, orange, and yellow fuzzy stuff on the top. I lined it with a really cool fabric that had red, orange, pink, and yellow mums on it. It looks perfect together. Felting is fun because you can make all sorts of mistakes like twisting stitches, holes that aren't supposed to be there, etc. and then when you felt it, you never see the mistakes again. I think I want to make the same bag again, just with better blocking while it's still wet. I know so much more about finishing now, so I think it will look better the second time around. I'm thinking something dark, most likely black, with a splash of color with a scarf or something along the top edge. Not sure yet.

I also really want to make a sweater. I've knit scarves, bags, 2 pairs of socks, and a hat for Katie. I think I know enough now that I can work my way through a pattern without too much difficulty. I need to use up some of the yarn I have sitting around home because it's starting to take over!

I think I'm starting to become somewhat of a yarn snob. Red Heart isn't cutting it anymore. I love the feel of the natural fibers. The problem is that they are just a little pricy at times for a large project. Maybe that's why I haven't tackled a sweater yet!

-------------

I told my parents about this blog today. Hi mom and dad!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home