Sunday, June 25, 2006

I almost hit a squirrel...

With my bike!

Ben and I live quite close to an entrance to the bike trails. He decided to go for a ride this afternoon, so Katie and I joined him. Let me tell you, this mom is WAY out of shape. I was really feeling the hills. But, they are quite steep when you get to one part of the trail.

We rode a total of 6.1 miles and I only walked up four hills. I was able to get up the smaller ones, but the ones out of the creek crossings were mighty difficult.

Anyway, the last time we rode this particular section, we saw some people stopped looking at something. Ben found out they were looking at an albino squirrel. How often do you see an albino squirrel? Not often. So, we got to see him (or her) also. He was pure white with the red eyes. To me, he looked more fluffy than the regular ones we see around here. So that was then.

Today, we were approaching the area where we saw him the last time and we were talking about if we'd see the white guy again. We didn't see him. Made us wonder if he was still around or not. We kept going and went a little further on the trail this time. We we turned around to come back home, I was leading. I was kind of looking nonchalantly to my left into the woods and saw something white out of the corner of my eye on the right. I first thought it was a piece of paper or something blowing onto the trail. My initial reaction was to brake so I wouldn't hit it. It was a good thing I braked because if I hadn't, I may have run over the albino squirrel. If I would have hit it, I would have been very upset. I don't want to be the one responsible for killing an oddity of nature!

So, the question about the continued exsistance of the albino squirrel was answered. He is still very much alive, unless he had a heart attack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home