Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The end of the weekend

Monday morning we went to Kill Creek Park with my family for a breakfast picnic. This is something that my family has done several times in the past. When we were young, it was just Mom, Dad, Steve and I. Then came Ben and Grandma K (also Charlie). Now we've added Nicole and Katie. It's fun to keep expanding our group.

When we were young, my dad would fix Cowboy Coffeecake on Saturday mornings. I don't really know how often he would make it, but it seemed like once a month. So, he'd mix up the batter and while it was baking in the microwave, no less (they have a convection type--don't really know why he uses it instead of the oven, but it works) Steve and I would sit at the top of the stairs leading down to the family room and lick the bowl while watching our cartoons. When the cakes were finished, dad would fry some eggs to go along with it. We would put butter on the hot cake and eat our eggs with the runny yolks (my favorite). This is one meal that I always have loved.

Anyway, I made the comment that I've been craving the coffeecake, so dad made them just for me. Actually, I think I just gave him the excuse, but no matter. So now Katie loves it too. Thanks dad!

We went around Lake Olathe on our way home and Katie fell asleep. Then when we got home, I got a nap! Katie took another nap in the afteroon so guess what Jen did? Did someone say nap? Yup.

I haven't slept that much for a very long time. I think the last time was before Katie was born. What a lovely way to spend the lazy weekend.

When we came home from dinner that evening, we were greeted by this:



This little guy was just sitting on the railing on our front porch. If you have read Alli's post today, you will see that babies are all around. I think the spring is awesome for this very reason. It is so exciting to me to see the babies starting to make it on their own. Maybe it's the mother instinct, maybe it's just me rooting for the little guy, but I sure want the babies to make it. I watched this little guy for probably 20 minutes. I even put out some seed for him-or her. I gave Katie a bath and put her to bed then rushed down to see if he was still there. He wasn't. Part of me was kind of sad because was hoping he'd stay close because I knew he was safe here. Part of me was glad because it meant that he was going to make it. Of course I had to look at the steps to see if he'd fallen. Luckily, he was gone.

I could hear a couple of adult jays squaking at something and Ben pointed out the cat sitting on the neighbor's driveway just watching the baby. Obviously, one of the adults was the mama. She was telling that cat to stay away from her baby. You go, mama! Ben found the baby next door, so I stood in the street watching it some more. Mama kept squaking at the cat, but between every squak you'd hear her coaxing the baby to fly. I was definately cheering for the little guy. I knew that since his mama was there, he would be just fine.

This whole experience made me think about being a mother myself. I would absolutely do anything to protect Katie. I know that one day she'll have to do things on her own so she can learn, but I will be with her every step of the way cheering her on and squaking at those cats.

All in all, it was a great weekend. I felt more refreshed on Monday evening than I have in a long time. Unfortunately, reality set in and I had to go back to work Tuesday. But, I am thankful that I had the time to spend just relaxing. I hope all of you had an enjoyable weekend too.

2 Comments:

At 6/1/06, 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are using Blogger with IE or Firefox, there should be a toolbar above your post content. Highlight the text in your post that you want to link and then click the "link" button.

If you don't have the toolbar, your links should look like this:

[a href="http://www.addressofyourlink.com"]linked text[/a]

except replace the [] with <>

Let me know if you have questions.

 
At 6/1/06, 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That breakfast sounds GOOD!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home