Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The friendship questions are fun! I have enjoyed writing about everyon that has commented. The original post is getting too long, but you can still play!

Comment on this entry, and I will:

Tell you why I am friends with you.
Associate you with something - fandom, a song, a color, a photo, a word etc.
Tell you something I like about you.
Tell you a memory I have of you.
Ask something I’ve always wanted to know about you.
In return, you must post this to your own journal/blog.

So far, Shane, Andrea, Alli and Jackie have commented and I wrote it up on the post below this one. I am using this current post to catch up anything else that comes in.

To answer Shane's question:

I got into science during high school. Originally, I planned on going into Chemistry because that was what the boy I liked was doing. I know, lame. But, it was high school after all. So I took a chemistry class to fulfill my requirement for graduation. I liked it. I liked it so well that I took another one the following year. I liked all the math that was involved. I liked that what we learned had a finite answer. It could only be one thing, not like the interpretation that goes on in English. The second chemistry class I took was even better. It was all about reactions and stuff. I don't remember all of it, but we did a lab that took about the last two months of school that had me completely hooked. It was all about testing the knowns to see what happens and then using that information to figure out what the unknowns were. Plus, it was a lot of color change and I love color. I knew that that was what I was going to do when I grew up. I thought at first I would go into pharmacueticals, but there was the whole research thing that got me hung up. I wanted fintie results. So I started in failure analysis (what made this chip/break/what is it? kind of thing.) It was ok, but now what I was looking for. Then I discovered environmental chemistry and I love it. I am currently working as the Chemist in our municiple water department. It is a great fit for me!

1 Comments:

At 3/4/08, 9:47 PM, Blogger Shane said...

This is Alli (not Shane) I am logged in on his computer. I am finally getting around to answering your question - well, I am going to scale back all the gross parts to save you from puking.

As a young kid, when I found out that my hamburger was actually a cow I remember being a vegetarian for about two weeks - it is hard to control meal time menus as an 8 year old.

But a few years ago - I just found myself feeling sick to my stomach at the texture of meat. Chicken was actually the first to go in my diet, it just seemed too much like flesh to me and I couldn't do it. But then I read too much about the hormones and antibiotics that are injected into the cows and red meat quickly followed. I know stick with it with the strong conviction of not eating living animals. The inhumane treatment of them makes me very sad.

Trust me, it isn't convenient and it isn't my best quality in Shane's eyes but it is something I feel better about. I can't say it will be forever but I can say, in a time when I tried to take a bite of meat a while back - I almost threw up. So for now - this is me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home